Home shows are an irresistible lure to decoristas and home-improvement hounds. The recent Toronto Fall Home Show was no different, as thousands flocked to get the scoop on the brightest new trends and products for homes and condos. Here are three top home and condo trend highlights from the show.
1. Easy screening solutions
Expand your living space while making the most of a views and breezes. Motorized wall-to-wall screens are the perfect way to turn a sunroom, deck or condo balcony into a shaded, mosquito-free alfresco indoor/outdoor space.
These next-gen screens are the perfect no-commitment take on outdoor living: Keep them up and out of the way on a beautiful day, then just flick a switch to drop them down if yellow jackets are attracted to your weekend brunch!
As with motorized window blinds and shades, this seamless and streamlined solution is ideal for condos, where space is at a premium.
2. Up-cyling with ease
As proven by the Habitat for Humanity Ultimate Upcycle Challenge, it can be way more stylish (and economical!) to repurpose an existing accessory or furniture item, rather than buying new. Fab new products are making up-cycling even easier than before:
- Move over chalkboard paint. Rust-Oleum’s Mirror Effect spray paint is an exciting new paint finish DIYers will love. Spray it on one side of any glass or plastic item, and the other develops a slick mirror finish. Cool!
- One-coat premium paints have moved from walls to furniture: Homestead House Paint Co.’s Fusion mineral paints combine one-coat coverage, a trendy matte finish, and easy distressability, making them the obvious choice for your next flea market find.
- But for that authentic country or vintage look, reach for real milk paint. Miss Mustard Seed Milk Paint is a 100% natural formula with zero-VOCs. Just mix the powder with water: no waste, no fuss. Now that’s old-school innovation!
3. Next-generation imposters
Trickery is one aspect of successful interior design. Much as mirrors can make a small room feel bigger, these clever products bring stylish deception home.
- Boost the appeal of a builder’s basic room with wall art on a grand scale. MuralUnique.com’s pre-pasted murals come in on-trend trompe l’oeil finishes including rustic barn boards and Canadian Shield Rock Face.
- Today’s next-generation LED candles offer more “flicker” for a less fake look. The Realite collection of wax taper, pillar and votive candles feature a “flame” that undulates and swivels, like an actual flicker. A self-timer turns the light off after five hours, to save the battery.
- Small-space-friendly Murphy beds are a perennial condo choice. Quebec-based TechCraft decided to shake up perceptions of the beds as necessary, but unstylish, with their designer challenge. See what top interior decorators like Barbara Milner, Karl Lohnes, Christine Dovey, and Amanda Forrest did to make the most of their wall beds.